We can help you in improving literacy standards in schools by:
- Developing children’s awareness of and interaction with books.
- Working alongside you on information skills work with children.
Work in either of these areas can be built in to your school’s entitlement to service or can be costed as additional support time.
Creative writing competition 2016
Walsall Schools Library Service in partnership with Soroptimist International of Walsall organised the 2016 ‘Creative Writing Competition’ for all Walsall primary schools. Year 5 children attending Walsall primary schools were invited to submit a piece of creative writing on one of the following topics: A Journey into Space; Witches or Wizards; An Animal Adventure. The standard of entries was very high and four prizes of book vouchers were awarded.
The winners are:
1st Prize: Journey through Space, by Sinel, from Lindens Primary School Read Journey through Space (PDF 51KB)
2nd Prize: The Witches Next Door, by Saffah, from Palfrey Junior School Read The Witches Next Door (PDF 58KB)
3rd Prize: Staying in a Horrid Cell, by Joseph, from St Anne’s Roman Catholic Primary School Read Staying in a Horrid Cell (PDF 95KB)
4th Prize: Journey into Space, by Rory, from Rushall Primary School Read Journey into Space (PDF 62KB)
Information skills projects
Examples of achievements
- In Old Church CE Primary we are working with a Y5 class researching information about the Aztecs from information books focussing on the relevancy of the information found.
- In Whetstone Primary this term we have worked with a Y3 and a Y4 class to make sure they could find their way around their school library.
We positively recommend a range of significant authors and up and coming authors of fiction to include in your school library.
- View Significant authors for KS1 2017 (PDF 59KB)
- View Significant authors for KS2 2017 (PDF 45KB)
- View Significant authors for KS3 2016 (PDF 40KB)
- View Significant poets for primaries 2017 (PDF 63KB)
- View Up and coming authors for KS1 2017 (PDF 72KB)
- View Up and coming authors for KS2 2017 (PDF 47KB)
- View Up and coming authors for KS3 2017 (PDF 40KB)